It was an eye-opening and inspiring event!
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm we had nearly 120 guests (youth and adults) at the East Rec Center to learn from local experts in varying fields, including two Drug Court participants. There was a 1-hour presentation by 6 speakers, followed by a 30-minute Q&A for guests to ask their own questions anonymously. Below is a list of topics covered, and the list of speakers who shared.
Winona Daily News article: “Finally belonging: Winona addicts, experts share stories of overcoming drug use”
Winona Post article: “Community talks about drugs, addiction”
You can also watch Ruth Charles, MSW, Ph.D. on YouTube talk about asking the question, “What happened?” instead of “Why did you do that?”
- Brain development
- How substance use affects the brain
- Personal stories
- How does treatment work?
- What help is available?
- Local trends
- Max Ruff’s personal story
- Tyler Eldridge’s personal story
- Ruth Charles, MSW, Ph.D. – Winona State University
- Teri Henderson, Probation Officer – Winona County Corrections
- Mary Olson, MS, LPCC, LADC, NCC – Common Ground
- Bridget Klinger, Community Liaison Officer – Winona Police Department