Alcohol is the most used substance by teens in Winona County. 11% of 8th graders, 11% of 9th graders, and 23% of 11th graders used alcohol in the past month (2019 Minnesota Student Survey). One of the concerns we have is that alcohol is easily accessed from the home, and heavily promoted during key events. Over the last few years we launched marketing campaigns to raise awareness about the legal and health consequences associated with alcohol.
During the campaign each year we continue to help educate alcohol retailers on safe, best practices, provide students with alcohol-free alternatives, and remind everyone about the fines for providing alcohol to a minor. Read on to see more about the campaign activities.
WARNING: An individual can face up to $3,000 in fines and one year in jail for providing alcohol to a person under the legal drinking age of 21.
BUZZKILL is a county-wide awareness campaign with the sole purpose of reminding community members that it is illegal to provide alcohol to people under the legal drinking age of 21. Not only is it illegal, but you risk facing consequences that affect ones future and health.
We highlight activities across Winona County that provide students with alternatives to binge drinking and provide adults with opportunities to help prevent negative consequences of underage drinking.
BUZZKILL Activities sponsored by Winona County ASAP:
- Parent Pledge:
- Parents, will you pledge to host only alcohol- and drug-free parties? Please sign the Parent Pledge online (below)! If you are going to host a party, here are some Party Planning Tips.
- Party Stoppers:
- During the BUZZKILL campaign we want you to be more vigilant of underage drinking so you can prevent negative consequences from occurring, such as a death of a friend or loved one. If you suspect someone is driving under the influence or hosting a house party, you can provide an anonymous tip with the Winona Area Crime Stoppers or call 507-457-6530. You can earn $50 if your tip leads to an arrest through the FAST50 Program.
- After-Prom Events:
- Food, bags, prizes, hypnotist show! Events being held by both Winona and Lewiston schools. All students are welcome to attend. Sign-up at the school.
- Sticker Shock Campaign:
- Shortly before prom and graduation students post campaign stickers and fact cards at local liquor stores.
- Responsible Beverage Server Training (RBST):
- This training is for any individual who sells alcohol at local establishments to learn the best practices of serving alcohol. Winona County ASAP is willing to reimburse individuals who successfully complete the workshop. Contact the Program Coordinator to learn more about upcoming an training or request reimbursement. Email [email protected] or call 507-474-2727.